InstagramTwitterSnapChat

وصف

العودة   منتديات سكاو > الكليات الجامعية > منتدى كلية الآداب والعلوم الإنسانية > قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها

BECAREFUL You can damage your English by writing and speaking

قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع إبحث في الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
الصورة الرمزية الباسل3003

الباسل3003 الباسل3003 غير متواجد حالياً

Patience is a virtue

تاريخ التسجيل: Aug 2008
التخصص: English
نوع الدراسة: إنتظام
المستوى: الثامن
الجنس: ذكر
المشاركات: 640
افتراضي BECAREFUL You can damage your English by writing and speaking

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Hello guys and girls. I've read a PDF book which talking about how to learn English and there was a warning (Speaking to Yourself can be Dangerous!)
at first i didn't believe it but I found another subject at some forum which says the same (BECAREFUL You can damage your English by writing and speaking) then it convinced me. نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

I loved to copy it for you my friends and i hope you have a benefit from it. نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How practice can damage your English . نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

If you ask "How can I learn to speak English better?", many people will tell you "Practice, practice, practice". "Speak and write in English whenever you can" — they will say. All English classes are full of activities which involve speaking and writing. You produce sentences when you do an exercise in your book, when your teacher makes you speak in class, or when you have to write a composition. All these activities are supposed to help you with your English.

We agree that practice can be very useful. It's even necessary to learn English well. So what's the problem? The problem is that for many learners, "speaking" or "writing" means "making a lot of mistakes". Some people make a mistake in every sentence!

If you don't make many mistakes, then you can speak or write in English and it can only help. But if you make many mistakes, then every time you write or speak, you reinforce your mistakes. As you write or speak, you repeat your mistakes constantly and your incorrect habits become stronger.

Imagine this situation: You are writing an e-mail message in English. Your English is not perfect and you want to write the message quickly. You write (incorrectly): "I want speak English."

When you write a sentence, you also read it. So the incorrect sentence goes into your head. The next time you write a message, you will be more likely to write "I want finish" or "I want be happy". Why? Because "I want speak English" is fresh in your head — you've just used it! And when you write "I want <do something>" the second time, you've got a "bad habit", or a reinforced mistake.

Now do you see our point? You write — you make mistakes — those mistakes become your habit, they become your way of writing in English. So, the more you write, the worse your English becomes.

Stop making mistakes! نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

We have said that you need practice to learn English. We

have also said that when you practice, you reinforce your mistakes.

Mical suggests a simple solution to this paradox: Never make mistakes! Here is what he says:

It is close to the truth that I have never written an incorrect English sentence.

I knew many grammatical structures and I used only those that I knew. My sentences were similar to sentences which I knew to be correct. I followed good examples, so all my sentences were good.

In the beginning, I could write only very simple sentences, but all the simple sentences were correct. Then as I advanced, I added more and more complicated structures, and again all my sentences were correct.

Because of this approach, I was never reinforcing bad habits. I never had any bad habits! From the beginning, I copied only correct sentences. With every sentence that I wrote, I reinforced my good habits.

You can speak and write with almost no mistakes, too.

You may be thinking...

"But practice makes perfect!" نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

If you make many mistakes, speaking and writing is not the way to eliminate them! On the contrary, it reinforces them, as we have shown earlier in this article.

You have to realize that speaking does not improve your grammar or your vocabulary. It's really very simple. Can you learn a new word from yourself? If you don't know how to say "Good bye" in English, can you invent it by yourself? No, you can't. You can only learn it by reading or listening to English.

Or take a language you don't know (e.g. Latin). Now try to learn Latin by speaking it right now. Come on, speak Latin! Don't be shy. Practice makes perfect! — Obviously, you can't. Why? Because you need to see some example Latin sentences first. We hope we have shown that the main way to learn a language is to read and listen to sentences in that language.

So what should you do if you can't help but make mistakes in your English sentences? If you make mistakes, that means you don't know how to say things in English. You need to learn how to say them. You won't learn that by speaking or writing. You must read and listen to correct English sentences.

You can speak and write later — when you can already build correct English sentences and want to improve your fluency (your speed).

"I'll get better by practicing, because my teacher corrects my mistakes!"

Perhaps you can benefit from corrections if you get a few corrections per week. But when there are many mistakes, you become unable to concentrate on them. If a teacher returns your composition with 20 corrected mistakes, how many of these corrections can you keep in your mind?

Besides, your teacher is not always there. What if you're writing an e-mail message on your own or talking to someone else? Other people usually ignore your mistakes, and even your teacher does not point out all of them.

The conclusion would be that fighting your mistakes is not easy, so it's better to avoid making mistakes altogether. نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

"But if I'm afraid to make a mistake, I will never open my mouth!"

First, try to be more careful by using the rules of error-free speaking. If you still make a lot of mistakes (= more than 1 mistake every 3 sentences), or if you find that the rules are killing your motivation, you probably shouldn't open your mouth just now. Instead, try to get more input by reading and listening in English.

"But you can't learn anything without mistakes!"

True, but believe us — you can learn English with almost no mistakes. How? You can fill your brain with correct sentences and imitate them. You can simply follow good examples.

If you write or say sentences that are similar to correct English sentences (from a book, a dictionary, or heard from a native speaker), then it is very hard to make a mistake!

"Can I ever make a mistake on purpose?" نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

Yes. Sometimes you can say or write something which you think is wrong. You can do it if you want to learn how to say something in English. For example, if you are talking to a native speaker, you can do this:

Say "I'm not sure how to say this in English, but ..." and then say your sentence (which is probably wrong).

The other person can tell you how to say it in English correctly.

Learn the correct way to say the sentence.

Notice that this technique is only safe if:

you know that you are saying something which may be wrong.

you are sure that the other person will correct you if you make a mistake.

you use it only occasionally.

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة الباسل3003 ; 02-09-2008 الساعة 04:31 PM.
رد مع اقتباس

منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 02-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #2

المسلم العربي

مشرف سابق

الصورة الرمزية المسلم العربي

تاريخ التسجيل: Jun 2008
التخصص: لغات - إنجليزي
المستوى: السادس
المشاركات: 2,459
افتراضي مشاركة: BECAREFUL You can damage your English by writing and speaking

موفق بإذن الله ... لك مني أجمل تحية .

للتبرع بمبلغ 10 ريال
ارسل رسالة فارغة إلى الرقم
STC & Mobily

موضوع مهم جداً:
كلمات حق يراد بها باطل

المسلم العربي غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 02-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #3

عاشق الفهد

مشرف مُتألق سابق

الصورة الرمزية عاشق الفهد

تاريخ التسجيل: Oct 2004
التخصص: انجليزي
نوع الدراسة: إنتساب
المستوى: متخرج
المشاركات: 1,885

subject is very benefit

" It need to read carefuly, but after exam "an sha allah

توقيع عاشق الفهد  

فَمَنْ حَاجَّكَ فِيهِ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَكَ مِنَ الْعِلْمِ فَقُلْ تَعَالَوْا نَدْعُ أَبْنَاءَنَا وَأَبْنَاءَكُمْ وَنِسَاءَنَا وَنِسَاءَكُمْ وَأَنْفُسَنَا وَأَنْفُسَكُمْ ثُمَّ نَبْتَهِلْ فَنَجْعَلْ لَعْنَتَ اللَّهِ عَلَى الْكَاذِبِينَ (61)

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة عاشق الفهد ; 02-09-2008 الساعة 04:28 PM.
عاشق الفهد غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #4

assem007

جامعي

الصورة الرمزية assem007

نوع الدراسة: انتظام
المشاركات: 90

I have read it. In my opinion, it's correct that u must mack sure that u write without misstaks, but in Speaking, I dont think so. Because in speaking practise makes u perfect even with ur self

assem007 غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 02-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #5

الباسل3003

Patience is a virtue

thanks for replays guys

Arabic moslim you too bro
3asheq best wishes in your exam
assem ummm i think u are right am talking with my self sometimes just to improve my speed and my accent but we have to be careful about the grammars
, right ?

الباسل3003 غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 03-09-2008, 05:10 AM   #6

smart

جامعي

تاريخ التسجيل: Dec 2005
التخصص: english
نوع الدراسة: إنتساب
المشاركات: 38

thanks alot ALBASIL & thanks for the writer , I should respect his point of view althouh he doesn't convince me. In my opinion, witout practicing speaking you can't learn the language even if you memorize all of english books
thanks again

توقيع smart  

يمنع وضع جميع وسائل الاتصال (بريد الكتروني أو معرفات برامج محادثه فورية أو صفحات مراسلة أو صفحات شخصية ... الخ) في التواقيع او في الخانات الخاصة بالتخصص الأكاديمي او الهوايات أو المهنة أو لقب العضو ... الخ ومن يرغب بإضافة موقع شخصي في توقيعه .. عليه الكتابة في قسم الاقتراحات والشكاوى ,, الإدارة

smart غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 03-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #7

jeddah_28

jeddah_28

تاريخ التسجيل: Mar 2008
التخصص: إدارة مستشفيات
نوع الدراسة: ماجستير
المستوى: الأول
المشاركات: 30

thank you for this subject , like what 3ashq alfahad says ,it woud be better if we read it after all exams im sure it's verey helpful ,cos everybody wants to improve his/her English by read others experiences ,

thank you one more time see you soon

jeddah_28 غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 03-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #8

assem007

جامعي

الصورة الرمزية assem007

المشاركات: 90
Smile مشاركة: BECAREFUL You can damage your English by writing and speaking

المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة الباسل3003 مشاهدة المشاركة
thanks for replays guys

Arabic moslim you too bro
3asheq best wishes in your exam
assem ummm i think u are right am talking with my self sometimes just to improve my speed and my accent but we have to be careful about the grammars
, right ?
that's absolutely right.. keep going

assem007 غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

feel the beat

Turn IT On

تاريخ التسجيل: Apr 2008
التخصص: Computer Science
المشاركات: 74

Amazing Basil Thanks a lot for this article

Keep it up

Regards

توقيع feel the beat  

Here Is The Man Who Never Wait For Anything To Start
But
He Always Start Everything

feel the beat غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM   #10

الباسل3003

Patience is a virtue

smart your point is clear and it's good