InstagramTwitterSnapChat

وصف

العودة   منتديات سكاو > الكليات الجامعية > منتدى كلية الآداب والعلوم الإنسانية > قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها
التسجيل مشاركات اليوم البحث

~{ تجمع طالبات البويتري مع أ.ناريمان~2011 ~ الترم الأول ..

قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع إبحث في الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 17-10-2010, 10:27 PM   #51

miss_moshi

جامعي

الصورة الرمزية miss_moshi

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2009
التخصص: Engerish
نوع الدراسة: إنتظام
المستوى: متخرج
الجنس: أنثى
المشاركات: 77
افتراضي رد: ~{ تجمع طالبات البويتري مع أ.ناريمان~2011 ~ الترم الأول ..

بنات البويم تبع سامويل london

كلها معانا ؟ :\

miss_moshi غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 18-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #52

ESC

Dream Land

تاريخ التسجيل: Sep 2009
المشاركات: 331

EA Girls
our first Quiz will be on Monday
25 Oct.

it will include

The Renaissance
the Elizabethan Age
William Shakespeare >> shall i compare thee to summer's day
Edmund Spencer >> Sweet is the rose , but grows upon a briar
The Jocobean Age
Jhon Donne>> Song:Go and ctch a falling star
The puritan Age
John Milton>> on his blindness
The restoration and eighteenth century
John Dryden>> epigram on milton
The Age of Pop
Alexander Pop>> ode on solitude

Don't miss the Wed Class
there will be a Revision

if u have any Q u may ask her

so prepare yourself before coming

Good luck

توقيع ESC  

Graduated
اللهم لك الحمد و الشكر ~ نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

ESC غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 19-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #53

الضمير المستتر

جامعي

تاريخ التسجيل: Oct 2009
التخصص: لغة انجليزيه
المستوى: الخامس
المشاركات: 68

بس لحد أكسندر بوب ؟؟

بنات اللي عندها أوراق مرتبة
أو كاتبة مع الاأستاذة حاجة واضحة
أو مطلعة من النت الصور البلاغية وكذه

لو بس تحط الرابط لأني دخت وأنا أدور
وألقى معلومات كثثثثثثثثثيرة ويبغالها تدقيق وتطلعي المهم واللي مو مهم
وكنت ناوية أقعد عليها لما يتيسر لي بس تفاجأت بالاختبار ماطلعت إلا شي بسيط

بلييييييييييز يا بنوتات

الضمير المستتر غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 20-10-2010, 06:21 AM   #54

ESC

Dream Land

^^^^^

لكل البنات شعبة ea
انا اليوم سهرت على البويتري رتبت كل القصائد و جمعت معلومات من النت و رتبت كل شيء تقريبا
و بحاول كمان الحين اكتب عليها ملاحظاتي اللي قالت عليها الاستاذه بالكلاس
(( قد ما اقدر احاول اعطيكم كل اللي عندي ))
ان شاء الله بحطها في الخوارزم 13 .. روحو صوروها
تلاقونها بإسم عهود

دعواتكم ربي يحقق لي امنياتي =)

قديم 20-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #55

مسز- فوشي

أم ريــــــــــــــــــما

تاريخ التسجيل: Mar 2009
التخصص: انقليش
المستوى: السابع
المشاركات: 193

'
;
'
ياحلوووة

مررااااا شكرااااا
الله يحققلك كل اللي تبغين ان شاء الله

توقيع مسز- فوشي  

ياحبذا ريح الولد
ريح الخزامى في البلد
اهكذا كل ولد
ام لم يلد قبلي احد
آم ريـــــــــــــــمآ

مسز- فوشي غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 20-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #56

ESC

Dream Land

بنااااااااااااااات
ملزمتي اللي حطيتها في الـ 13 حصل فيها تغيير نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة
مدري ميييين اللي تلقفت و شالت الثلاث الاوراق الاولى حقتي و حطت ورقتين من عندها بدالها !!!
من جد حركه بايخه و مالها داعي ..نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة
عندك شيء تبين تضيفينه اوك اهلا و سهلا لكن مالك حق تنزلينه باسمي !
غير انو مالك حق اساسا تشيلين اوراقي !!!نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

المهم هذا درس لي و ما عاد انزل شيء هناك ..
بنسخها لكم هنا .. لان انا ما استخدم برنامج الوورد
عندي برنامج ثاني بس صيغته ما راح تفتح عندكم

انسخوها و اطبعوها براحتكم :)

على فكرة اضفت معلومات زياده حقت اووول محاضره اللي هي عن البويتري بشكل عام

.((.ملاحظه مهمة .)).
هذي الملزمة تساعدكم.. يعني انا بس اعطيتكم المعلومات اللي عندي
لا احد يعتمد عليها اعتماد كلي بعدين تقولون فلانة قالت و مدري وشو .. مالي دخل
كلنا كبار و عقولنا في روسنا .. خذي اللي يعجبك و اللي ما يعجبك خليه براحتك
لا احد يورطني .. اوك ؟؟
نقرتين لعرض الصورة في صفحة مستقلة

و ياليت كمان اللي عندها شيء تضيفه لنا
بلاش الانانية .. هذا الموضوع اخذ و عطاء
يعني حتى السيلابس مافي وحده تكرمت و حطتها في السكانر و رفعتها للبنات !!!!
انا ما عندي سكانر و لا كان سويتها
ما تاخذ منك وقت .. ليش تبون كل شيء جاهز و ماتساعدون بعض !!!

عموما انا بشوف اذا فضيت بكتبها و انزلها لكم باذن الله

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ESC ; 20-10-2010 الساعة 04:44 PM.

قديم 20-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #57

ESC

Dream Land

Vernacular Poetry:

Poetry that is written in the local language of the local people.
expressed or written in the native language of a place, as literary works: a vernacular poem.

Irony Poetry:.

Irony illustrates a situation, or a use of language, involving some kind of discrepancy. The result of an action or situation is the reverse of what is expected. A famous example of irony is ''Water, water, every where, Nor any drop to drink”.

Satire Poetry:

The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

THEMES:
1–Antiquity:( Very Old )
Return to the Classical style which had been ignored completely in the middle age.
2–Individualism:
Writers rediscovered Classic style and renewed it.
When they studied classical they moved it to their own.
Shift in thought.
3–Faith In Reason:
Focus on Secular issues ( non religious issues )
Accepting things through reasons
Accepting other religious and philosophy.
4–Education:
Was extremely important, people became read at the time More than before.

Types of sonnets:
1– The Italian (or Petrarchan) Sonnet
The Italian sonnet is divided into two sections by two different groups of rhyming sounds
The first 8 lines is called the octave and rhymes:
a b b a a b b a
The remaining 6 lines is called the sestet and can have either two or three rhyming sounds, arranged in a variety of ways:
c d c d c d
c d d c d c
c d e c d e
c d e c e d
c d c e d c

2– The Spenserian Sonnet
The Spenserian sonnet, invented by Edmund Spenser as an outgrowth of the stanza pattern he used in The Faerie Queene, has the pattern:
a b a b b c b c c d c d e e
3– The English (or Shakespearian) Sonnet
The English sonnet has the simplest and most flexible pattern of all sonnets
consisting of 3 quatrains of alternating rhyme and a couplet and rhymed couplet (final massage)
a b a b
c d c d
e f e f
g g

Compare between the Speserian sonnet and Shakesperan sonnet :

The English (Shakespearean) sonnet, on the other hand, is so different from the Italian (though it grew from that form) as to permit of a separate classification. Instead of the octave and sestet divisions, this sonnet characteristically embodies four divisions: three quatrains (each with a rhyme-scheme of its own) and a rhymed couplet. Thus the typical rhyme-scheme for the English sonnet is

abab cdcd efef gg.

The couplet at the end is usually a commentary on the foregoing.

The Spenserian sonnet combines the Italian and the Shakespearean forms, using three quatrains and a couplet but employing linking rhymes between the quatrains, thus

abab bcbc cdcd ee.

The Renaissance

The new age in Europe was eventually called “the Renaissance.” Renaissance is a French word that means “rebirth.” Historians consider the Renaissance to be the beginning of modern history. The Renaissance began in northern Italy and then spread through Europe.
The Renaissance was much more than simply studying the work of ancient scholars. It influenced painting, sculpture, and architecture. Paintings became more realistic and focused less often on religious topics. Rich families became patrons and commissioned great art. Artists advanced the Renaissance st

yle of showing nature and depicting the feelings of people. In Britain, there was a flowering in literature and drama that included the plays of William Shakespeare.

The Elizabethan Age

The Elizabethan era was a time associated with Queen Elizabeth I's reign (1558–1603) and is often considered to be the golden age in English history. It was the height of the English Renaissance and saw the flowering of English poetry, music and literature. This was also the time during which Elizabethan theater flourished, and William Shakespeare and many others composed plays that broke free of England's past style of plays and theater. It was an age of exploration and expansion abroad, while back at home, the Protestant Reformation became more acceptable to the people, most certainly after the Spanish Armada was repulsed. It was also the end of the period when England was a separate realm before its royal union with Scotland.

(1)William Shakespeare
William Shakespeare `The Bard of Avon', English poet and playwright wrote the famous 154 Sonnets. The Shakespearean Sonnets were written in the 1590s, some printed at this time as well.
The production of Shakespeare's Sonnets was in some way influenced by the Italian sonnet

(2) Edmund Spencer
Edmund Spenser was an English poet best known for The Faerie Queene, an epic poem and fantastical allegory celebrating the Tudor dynasty and Elizabeth I. He is recognized as one of the premier craftsmen of Modern English verse in its infancy, and one of the greatest poets in the English language.
The Spenserian Sonnet is based on a fusion of elements of both the Petrarchan sonnet and the Shakespearean sonnet. It is similar to the Shakespearan sonnet in the sense that its set up is based more on the 3 quatrains and a couplet, a system set up by Shakespeare; however it is more like the Petrarchan tradition in the fact that the conclusion follows from the argument or issue set up in the earlier quatrains. There is also a great use of the parody of the blazon and the idealization or praise of the mistress, a literary device used by many poets. It is a way to look at a woman through the appraisal of her features in comparison to other things.

Shall I Compare Thee To A Summer's Day?
by William Shakespeare (1564-1616)

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Shall I compare you to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate:
You are more lovely and more constant:
Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,
Rough winds shake the beloved buds of May
And summer's lease hath all too short a date:
And summer is far too short:
Sometime too hot the eye of heaven shines,
At times the sun is too hot,
And often is his gold complexion dimm'd;
Or often goes behind the clouds;
And every fair from fair sometime declines
, And everything beautiful sometime will lose its beauty,
By chance or nature's changing course untrimm'd;
By misfortune or by nature's planned out course.
But thy eternal summer shall not fade
But your youth shall not fade,
Nor lose possession of that fair thou owest;
Nor will you lose the beauty that you possess;
Nor shall Death brag thou wander'st in his shade,
Nor will death claim you for his own,
When in eternal lines to time thou growest:
Because in my eternal verse you will live forever.
So long as men can breathe or eyes can see,
So long as there are people on this earth,
So long lives this and this gives life to thee.
So long will this poem live on, making you immortal.

ANALYSIS
temperate (1): i.e., evenly-tempered; not overcome by passion.
the eye of heaven (5): i.e., the sun.
every fair from fair sometime declines (7): i.e., the beauty (fair) of everything beautiful (fair) will fade (declines).
nature's changing course (8): i.e., the natural changes age brings.
that fair thou ow'st (10): i.e., that beauty you possess.
in eternal lines...growest (12): The poet is using a grafting phor in this line. Grafting is a technique used to join parts from two plants with cords so that they grow as one. Thus the beloved becomes immortal, grafted to time with the poet's cords (his "eternal lines"). For commentary on whether this sonnet is really "one long exercise in self-glorification",

It is a Shakespearean sonnet
* Sonnet 18 is the best known and most well-loved of all 154 sonnets. It is also one of the most straightforward in language and intent. The stability of love and its power to immortalize the poetry and the subject of that poetry is the theme.
The poet starts the praise of his dear friend without ostentation, but he slowly builds the image of his friend into that of a perfect being. His friend is first compared to summer in the octave, but, at the start of the third quatrain (9), he is summer, and thus, he has morphosed into the standard by which true beauty can and should be judged.

The poet's only answer to such profound joy and beauty is to ensure that his friend be forever in human memory, saved from the oblivion that accompanies death. He achieves this through his verse, believing that, as history writes itself, his friend will become one with time. The final couplet reaffirms the poet's hope that as long as there is breath in mankind, his poetry too will live on, and ensure the immortality of his muse.

Sweet is the rose but grows upon a briar
Sonnet 26 by; Edmund Spencer

Sweet is the rose but grows upon a briar;
Sweet is the juniper, but sharp his bough;
Sweet is the eglantine, but pricketh near;
Sweet is the fir bloom, but his branches rough;
Sweet is the cypress, but his ryndd is tough.

Sweet is the nut, but bitter is his pill;
Sweet is the broom flower, but yet sour enough;
And sweet is moly, but his root is ill.

So every sweet with sour is tempered still.
That maketh it be coveted the more:
For easy things that may be got at will,
Most sorts of men do set but little store.
Why then should I account of little pain,
That endless pleasure shall unto me gain.

* It is a Spencerian sonnet

Contrast between love and pleasure

An Analysis of Sonnet 26

You want what you can’t have. It is human nature to have an increased desire for the unattainable. This holds just as true for a three-year-old who wants a before dinner as it did for Edmund Spenser in Sonnet 26, whose love was playing a game of hard to get. However, while some people might give up when something is not easily attained, Spenser makes it clear that he has no problem doing whatever it takes to make this girl fall in love. “Sonnet 26” is a Spenserian sonnet which closely adheres to the format and addresses the age-old theory that the harder something is to obtain, the more appealing and desirable it becomes.
Spenserian sonnets are characterized by a specific rhyme scheme and formatted into three quatrains and one couplet, which usually serves as the conclusion or indicates the “turn.” A turn is the point in which the situation or question posed in the previous lines of the sonnet is settled and answered. Sometimes, however, the problem is simply intensified without a solution. This specific sonnet differs from the standard in that the turn occurs at line 9, after only two quatrains as opposed to line 13, where the couplet begins. A common theme in sonnets, alongside beauty and death, is the internal duel with an unrequited love, the ideal woman that makes herself unattainable.
In “Sonnet 26,” Spenser successfully captures the essence of the banal phrase “you want what you can’t have,” while evading cliches. He accomplishes this feat by using vivid imagery depicting nature. Starting off the sonnet is a list contrasting elements that are sweet with their sour counterparts. For example, in line 1, Spenser states “Sweet is the rose, but grows upon a briar.” While the rose is beautiful, it is surrounded by a thorny briar so the difficulty of getting it makes it even more special. This type of phor continues in every line throughout the first two quatrains of the sonnet, each one containing a sweet flower or plant preceding its flaw. The phors continue after the turn in lines 9 and 10, “So every sweet with sour is tempered still, That make it be coveted the more.” Everything good possesses something bad that makes it more alluring.
What is worth the prize is always worth the fight. This message is audibly conveyed in “Sonnet 26,” especially in the last couplet: “Why then should I account of little pain, That endless pleasure shall unto me gain.” Here, Spenser declares his willingness to carry the key of pain as long as it opens the door to his lover’s heart. Sonnets are commonly phorically written. Nature sometimes puts its most rewarding things behind protective coverings; this is a larger phor that can be applied not only to everyday life, but also to love. It has always been said that if a girl makes herself unattainable, the thrill of the chase will fuel a man’s desire; however, if she simply hands herself over, the man may lose interest quickly. Spenser supports this idea in line 11, “For easy things, that may be got at will, Most sorts of men do set but little store.”
Through “Sonnet 26,” Spencer teaches a timeless lesson about persistence and drive both in life and love in 14 lines brimming with luscious phors and a perpetual rhyme scheme. Apart from its impeccable form, I think the genius of this sonnet lies in its relatability. Everyone has felt the thrill of the chase, the excitement of doing something you shouldn’t do or longing after something you can’t have. Ultimately, we are compelled by the anticipation that accumulates like fresh snow on a bush. Anticipation, that we hope will lead to our fairy tale ending. But in the end, we have no control over what life throws at us and all we have left to do is hope.

The Puritan Age
Puritans, a group of people devoted to religious worship, escaped the Church of England in the 16th Century to achieve religious freedom in the New World.
Moral belliefs
John Milton led the puritan age of poetry.
The writings of puritan poets incorporated God and nature, but God was to be the center point of their poems. They expressed their faith in God more often that any other poets.

John Milton
Milton was raised Protestant with a heavy tendency toward puritanism.
He led the puritan age of poetry.
Milton is most notable for his great epic ”Paradise Lost”

On His Blindness
When I consider how my light is spent 1
Ere half my days 2 in this dark world and wide
And that one talent 3 which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless,4 though my soul more bent
To serve therewith 5 my Maker, and present
My true account,6 lest he returning chide;
"Doth God exact 7 day labor, light denied?"
I fondly 8 ask. But Patience,9 to prevent
That murmur, soon replies,. "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts. 10 Who best
Bear his mild yoke,11 they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed,.
And post 12 o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait. 13

1....light is spent: This clause presents a double meaning: (a) how I spend my days, (b) how it is that my sight is used up.
2....Ere half my days: Before half my life is over. Milton was completely blind by 1652, the year he turned 44.
3....talent: See Line 3: Key to the Meaning.
4....useless: Unused.
5....therewith: By that means, by that talent; with it
6....account: Record of accomplishment; worth
7....exact: Demand, require
8....fondly: Foolishly, unwisely
9....Patience: Milton personifies patience, capitalizing it and having it speak.
10..God . . . gifts: God is sufficient unto Himself. He requires nothing outside of Himself to exist and be happy.
11. yoke: Burden, workload.
12. post: Travel.

Lines 3-6: Key to the Meaning

Lines 3 to 6 of the poem allude to the "Parable of the Talents" in Chapter 25 of the Gospel of Matthew, verses 14 to 30. In this famous parable, an employer who is going away for a time gives his three servants money in proportion to their ability to increase its value. He distributes the money in talents, a unit of weight used in ancient times to establish the value of gold, silver, or any other medium used as money. Thus, a Roman might pay ten talents of gold for military supplies or seven talents of silver for a quantity of food. In the "Parable of the Talents," the employer gives the first servant five talents of silver, the second servant two talents, and the third servant one talent. After the employer returns from the trip and asks for an accounting, the first servant reports that he doubled his talents to ten and the second that he doubled his to four. Both men receive promotions. The third servant then reports that he still has only one talent, for he did nothing to increase its value. Instead, he buried it. The employer denounces him for his laziness, gives his talent to the man with ten, and casts him outside into the darkness.

"On His Blindness" is a Petrarchan sonnet,
a lyric poem with fourteen lines. Has a rhyme scheme of ABBA, ABBA, CDE, and CDE

Theme
God judges humans on whether they labor for Him to the best of their ability. For example, if one carpenter can make only two chairs a day and another carpenter can make five, they both serve God equally well if the first carpenter makes his two chairs and the second makes his five. If one carpenter becomes severely disabled and cannot make even a single chair, he remains worthy in the sight of God. For, as Milton says in the last line of the poem, "they also serve who only stand and wait.”

Examples of Figures of Speech
Alliteration: my days in this dark world and wide (line 2)
phor: though my soul more bent / To serve therewith my Maker (lines 3-4). The author compares his soul to his mind.
Personification/phor: But Patience, to prevent / That murmur, soon replies . . . (lines 8-9).
Paradox: They also serve who only stand and wait.

The Restoration

The Restoration was an age of poetry. Not only was poetry the most popular form of literature, but it was also the most significant form of literature, as poems affected political events and immediately reflected the times. It was, to its own people, an age dominated only by the king, and not by any single genius. Throughout the period, the lyric, ariel, historical, and epic poem was being developed.
The Restoration period ended without an English epic. Beowulf may now be called the English epic, but the work was unknown to Restoration authors, and Old English was incomprehensible to them.
Lyric poetry, in which the poet speaks of his or her own feelings in the first person and expresses a mood, was not especially common in the Restoration period. Poets expressed their points of view in other forms, usually public or formally disguised poetic forms such as odes, pastoral poetry, and ariel verse. One of the characteristics of the period is its devaluation of individual sentiment and psychology in favour of public utterance and philosophy. The sorts of lyric poetry found later in the Churchyard Poets would, in the Restoration, only exist as pastorals.
Formally, the Restoration period had a preferred rhyme scheme.

John Dryden

John Dryden was an influential English poet, literary critic, translator, and playwright who dominated the literary life of Restoration England to such a point that the period came to be known in literary circles as the Age of Dryden
His subject-matter was often factual, and he aimed at expressing his thoughts in the most precise and concentrated way possible. Although he uses formal poetic structures such as heroic stanzas and heroic couplets, he tried to achieve the rhythms of speech. However, he knew that different subjects need different kinds of verse.

John Dryden “Epigram on Milton” (1688)

Three Poets, in three distant Ages born,
Greece, Italy, and England did adorn.
The First in loftiness of thought surpassed;
The Next in Majesty; in both the Last.
The force of Nature could no farther go:
To make a third she joined the former two.

* Milton is using opera, not epic form
* Majesty and loftiness
* Dryden compared Milton to the great classical poets, Virgil and Homer.

((هنا محتاجين معلومات اكثر ><؛))

Age of Pope:

Alexander Pope was an eighteenth-century English poet, best known for his satirical verse and for his translation of Homer. He is the third most frequently quoted writer in The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations, after Shakespeare and Tennyson. Pope is famous for his use of the heroic couplet.

Ode on Solitude
Alexander Pope

Happy the man, whose wish and care
A few paternal acres bound,
Content to breathe his native air,
In his own ground.

Whose heards with milk, whose fields with bread,
Whose flocks supply him with attire,
Whose trees in summer yield him shade,
In winter fire.

Blest! who can unconcern'dly find
Hours, days, and years slide soft away,
In health of body, peace of mind,
Quiet by day,

Sound sleep by night; study and ease
Together mix'd; sweet recreation,
And innocence, which most does please,
With meditation.

Thus let me live, unseen, unknown;
Thus unlamented let me dye;
Steal from the world, and not a stone
Tell where I lye.

This poem is about solitude, not as a bad thing but as a blessing. It talks about freedom of responsibility to the society, to courtesy and stifling social norms.

In the first verse "how happy he, who free from care, the rage of courts, and noise of towns". Alexander is talking about the happiness and joy derived by a person who is not encumbered by the niceties of society, in fact he is envious of that peace and freedom. He sees the solitude as a blessing and privilege. Then he goes on to say "Contented breaths his native air, in his own grounds", the person is not only free from the social graces but is his own person, owns himself and things and answers to no one but himself.

In the second verse he talks about the person right to all he has, no taxes and no relatives or friends to support. He also revels in the right and freedom to do as he pleases and when. He enjoys all that he has without the worry of what society thinks, or what the norms are. He spares no thought to modesty. He derives joy from simple pleasures of life, he does not need to be extravagant and ostentatious to be satisfied, although with society owning such simple things as a house, a herd of cows, flock of sheep, and a groove of trees is seen as peasant live. The society looks down on people like that and sees them as people of no consequence and unfortunate, but to the poet he regards such people as the true possessors of the finer thing of life.

By the third verse he has found that only people who lead such life has a true chance to good health. This he says steams from the lack of stress induced by the society and people. No answering to anybody, no nagging from others and no passing or receipt of judgment. To the poet it is a blessing to live life without concerns as to what the norm of society is and to live life leisurely as time pass more swiftly in peace.

The fourth verse shows is clearly what the poet thinks is a life of leisure. "Sound sleep by night; study and ease Together mix'd; sweet recreation".
Irrespective of the station or social status he believes that the desire for knowledge is in every man, but a study without the pressure to achieve excellence but for the joy of knowing and curiosity is a luxury that the society those not accord to people, all pursuit of education is always tested and not just for the plain happiness derived from it. A sound sleep is another luxury he feels people do not have, but our free man has this. The freedom to a restful sleep not disturbed by worry and the cares of leading a society labeled successful life. Then there is the innocence that is preserved, but day to day dealing with people always disabuses people of that. The innocence from manipulation, backstabbing, plotting, dishonesty, betrayal and lies. That innocence that the world is a good place without seeing humans kill other humans.

In the final verse he expresses his longing for such a life, a life free of people and their ills. A life where there is no conformity to the norm of society, with no pressure, with leisure and pleasure in the simpler things, with peace and quiet and preserved innocence. "Thus let me live, unheard, unknown; thus unlamented let me dye" he claims no need to be known or celebrated, he yearns for a solitude so complete that his existence goes unnoticed, even into the future that his memory is not remembered or heard of by anybody, "Steal from the world, and not a stone Tell where I lye".

[ in other words ]

Alexander Pope's "Solitude" is a calming piece that deals with exactly what the title suggests: solitude. Moreover, the piece examines what would make a man truly happy, and how this is all connected to the idea of solitude.

The first verse details what might constitute happiness for a man: "Happy the man, whose wish and care / A few paternal acres bound, / Content to breathe his native air / In his own ground" (1-4). Note that the happiness being discussed is meant in both a figurative as well as literal sense. For instance, the speaker details how a man would be happy if his "wish and care" was figuratively: "a few paternal acres bound", comprising all of his hopes and dreams in a "paternal" manner. In the same sense, a man could be happy if his wish and care literally concerned: "a few paternal acres bound", or some rural land that a man could rule "paternally". In either case, a man would be happy as long as he was content to breathe his own air and live "in his own ground", but the man who actually owned the land would be even better off, because he would live in solitude.

The second verse emphasizes this idea of ruling a piece of land paternally: "Whose herds with milk, whose fields with bread, / Whose flocks supply him with attire; / Whose trees in summer yield shade, / In winter, fire" (5-8). The speaker notes that a man would indeed be happy if the "few paternal acres" of land that he owned would have everything needed to sustain him: milk from cows, bread from his fields, clothing from his flocks and trees for both shade and fire wood. In this sense a man could live off of his own work, but more importantly, in solitude, since he would have no need for society.

The third verse stresses the importance of solitude in a happy man's life: "Blest, who can unconcernedly find / Hours, days, and years, slide soft away / In health of body, peace of mind, / Quiet by day" (9-12). The speaker calls the man who would live off of his own land blessed because he has the potential to whittle away time without a care in the world. Moreover, he does so in solitude and at his own pace, unconcerned for the foibles that trouble societies. In another sense, the happy man is also blessed because he has "health of body" as well as "piece of mind" that he can only seem to achieve through his solitude.

The fourth verse continues this idea: "Sound sleep by night, study and ease / Together mixed, sweet recreation, / And innocence, which most does please / With meditation”
(13-16). The happy man who lives in solitude on his own farm would sleep well at night, study as well as take part in "sweet recreation", but most importantly, he would hold onto his "innocence" through constant meditation. The idea that a man could hold onto his innocence in living alone is very desirable and, thus, men who would do this could in a sense be happy (according to the speaker). In other words, innocence is so easily lost in society, that it is no wonder a man who lives alone has kept his innocence: he is un-phased by society, and shows no concern, which allows for his true happiness.

The final verse ends on the idea that the speaker wants to embrace everything that he has just described: "Thus let me live, unseen, unknown; / Thus unlamented let me die; / Steal from the world, and not a stone / Tell where I lie" (17-20). The speaker comments that he wishes to be "unknown" in his life of solitude, and he even goes so far as to say that he wants to be "unlamented" as his death. Finally, the speaker asks readers not to tell even an inanimate object where he lives, as it would break his solitude. Overall, this is an excellent piece that details how, not just a man can be happy, but how a lot of people could be happier in life. It stresses the benefits of solitude and how getting away from society could in fact be a good thing.

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ESC ; 20-10-2010 الساعة 04:50 PM.

قديم 20-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #58

الضمير المستتر

جامعي

مرة مرة شكراً ياقلبي
عن جد من يوم ماقلتي في الكلاس وأنا أدعي لك وربي يشهد
حسسيتك بجد طيوبة وتحبين الخير لغيرك مو بس حب وفعل <== تبي تتعلم منك ^_^

الله يعطيك العافية ويقويك ويوفقك وتتخرجين بمعدل يرفع رأسك يارب

أنا ماعندي ملاحظات بس بأحاول أكيد إن شاء الله أنزل السيلابلز

قديم 20-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #59

lozanov

جامعي

تاريخ التسجيل: Jan 2009
التخصص: لغة انجليزية
نوع الدراسة: انتظام
المستوى: السابع
المشاركات: 91

هلاا اختي Esc

الله يعطيك العافيه مـاقـصرتـي
تسلميـن

بالتوفيــق

lozanov غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

قديم 20-10-2010, 10:33 PM   #60

الضمير المستتر

جامعي

The Renaissance 1485-1600 .. The Elizabethan Age

William Shakespeare
"Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's DAY?"

Edmund Spencer
"Sweet is the Rose, But Grows upon a Briar"

The Jacobean Age
John Donne
"Song"

The Puritan Age
John Milton
"On His Blindness"

The Restoration and Eighteenth Century 1660-1798
John Dryden
"Epigram on Milton"

The Age of Pope
Alexander Pope
"Ode on Solitude"

The Age of Johnson
Samuel Johnson
"London"

The Romantic Age 1798-18832
William Wordsworth
"Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey"

Samuel Taylor Coleridge
"The Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

Percy Bysshe ley
"To a Skylark"

The Victorian Age
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
"Break, Break, Break"

Robert Browning
"My Last Duchess"

التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة الضمير المستتر ; 20-10-2010 الساعة 10:38 PM.

إضافة رد

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 05:15 PM