InstagramTwitterSnapChat

وصف

العودة   منتديات سكاو > الكليات الجامعية > منتدى كلية الآداب والعلوم الإنسانية > قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها
التسجيل مشاركات اليوم البحث

LANE 335 Language files

قسم اللغات الأوروبية و آدابها

إضافة رد

أدوات الموضوع إبحث في الموضوع انواع عرض الموضوع
منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 24-05-2013, 12:52 PM

jana jana jana jana غير متواجد حالياً

جامعي

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2010
التخصص: English litrature
نوع الدراسة: إنتساب
المستوى: العاشر
الجنس: أنثى
المشاركات: 24
افتراضي LANE 335 Language files

hello girls how r u jum3a mubaraka
in the link below u'll fine slides which helps 2 understand the Language file book in easy way
+ u'll find answers 4 the spanish & sindhi languages which is in
4.4 analysis exercises

http://www.slideshare.net/JasmineWon...slides-9248232

these are some of the answers i found from different sites

4.1) Basic concepts
. (4.1a) Complementary distribution: What it is, how to state it, the elsewhere trick
. (4.1b) The consequence of complementary distribution: Two phones are allophones of a single 
phoneme
. (4.1c) What a minimal pair is: Two words with the same number of sounds that differ in 
exactly one position, such as Thai [phaa] and [paa].
. (4.1d) What a minimal pair means: Non-complementary distribution. Two phones occurring 
in exactly the same environment. In the Thai minimal pair, [ph] and p are shown 
occurring in exactly the same environment.
. (4.1e) What the phonemic representation / / is and what the phonetic representation [ ] is. 
How to write the phonemic representation when there are allophones.
Steps in solving a phonology problem

(a) Are there minimal pairs? You’re done! These are separate phonemes.1 (b) List the environments for the sounds you’re interested in.
(c) Are the environments overlapping?
(i) Yes. You’re done! These are separate phonemes!2
(ii) No.3 They are allophones. You must state the distribution of the allophones.
1Your answer should state the phones are separate phonemes and list the minimal pairs. 2Your answer should specify where the environments overlap.
3This means the phones are in complementary distribution.

Stating the distribution
1. The sound with the most varied distribution is the elsewhere allophone
2. Try to characterize where the other sound(s) occur(s). Call the other sound
(or one of the other sounds if there are more than one) x below.
a. Try to find a single generalization which unites all the sounds that can follow x
b. If a failed, try to find a single generalization which unites all the sounds that can precede x
c. If a and b failed, try to find a generalization which characterizes the sounds preceding and following x; for example, x occurs between vowels.
d. Make sure the generalization you formulated in step a, b, or c excludes all the other allophones.
3. Your deion of the distribution looks like this: “Allophone x occurs [The generalization formulated in step 2 goes here]. [The elsewhere allo- phone] occurs elsewhere.”
4. If you have been asked to give a phonemic representation of a word, give a tranion in which all the allophones of the phoneme you’re describing have been replaced with the elsewhere allophone.

http://dstmte.net/lgcs10/lecture_notes/phonology.pdf

English Phonology Problems
[Adapted from Department of Linguistics (1994), p. 115]
Diphthongs
1. [ b􏰑yt ] bite 2. [ taym ] time 3. [ bay ] buy 4. [ rayd ] ride 5. [ nayn􏰓 ] ninth 6. [ fay􏰍l ] file 7. [ r􏰑yt ] write 8. [ b􏰑yk ] bike
9.[f􏰑yt] fight 10.[tay] tie 11.[t􏰑yp] type 12.[r􏰑ys] rice 13. [ rayz ] rise 14. [ fay􏰍􏰎 ] fire 15. [ l􏰑yf ] life 16. [ bayd ] bide

Are there any minimal pairs with respect to [ay] and [􏰑y]?
Although 1 and 8 constitute a minimal pair, there are no minimal pairs with respect to the two
sounds in question.
Describe the environment in which each sound appears.
according to the data. both sounds appear word internally, so word position won’t help us, but if we look at the surrounding sounds, we see that [􏰑y] only appears before voiceless consonants. [ay] appears before all other sounds (including ∅).
Are the sounds in complementary or overlapping distribution?
our deion of the distributions above indicates that the sounds are in complementary distribution.
Are the sounds allophones of the same phoneme, or are they of different phonemes? sounds that are in complementary distribution are allophones of the same phoneme.
If they are allophones of the same phoneme, what determines which allophone is used, and which allophone is the basic form (the one we should name the phoneme after)?
the sound that immediately follows the phoneme determines which allophone is used. If there is a voiceless consonant immediately following, then [􏰑y] is used. In every other case, [ay] is used. Because [ay] appears in more environments (both preceding voiced consonants and preceding ∅), we will call [ay] the basic form and name the phoneme /ay/.
Based on your analysis of the data, which of the following words is/are phonologically possible in this dialect of English?
[kraym] yes [m􏰑yl] no [wayl] yes [brayb] yes [kwayt] no [s􏰍blaym] yes

Italian
[Adapted from Department of Linguistics (1994), p. 111 and Cowan & Rakusan (1998), p. 66]
1.[tinta]
2. [ mandate] 3. [ dansa] 4.[nero] 5.[j􏰌􏰇nte]
6. [ parlano ]
dye
you (pl) send dance
black
people
they speak
7.[ti􏰒􏰉o] 8.[te􏰒􏰉o] 9.[fu􏰒􏰉o] 10. [ bya􏰒ka ] 11.[a􏰒ke] 12. [ fa􏰒􏰉o ]
I dye
I keep mushroom white
also
mud
1. Yes, but the only minimal pairs are 7 and 8 and 9 and 12, and the difference is in the first vowel sound. All we can conclude from these minimal pairs is that [i] and [e] , as well as [u] and [a], are
contrastive and represent distinct phonemes in Italian. This, however, does not help us answer the question about [n] and [􏰒].
2. The only environment in which we see [􏰒] is before [􏰉] and [k]. [􏰉] and [k] represent the natural class of velar stops. This makes sense because [􏰒] is also produced in the velar area. [n] is used before vowels as well as before [t], [d] and [s], all of which are alveolar consonants. Again, this consonant environment makes sense because [n] is also produced in the alveolar region.
3. Because [􏰒] only appears before velar stops and [n] never does, but appears before vowels and alveolar consonants, we can determine that the two sounds are in complementary distribution.
4. We know that they are in complementary distribution. [n] and [􏰒], therefore, are allophones of one phoneme.
5. /n/ becomes [􏰒] before velar stops (this is a rule of assimilation)
The relationship between these sounds is different in English. They are both phonemes in English and
are thus contrastive (compare the minimal pairs “fan” [fæn] and “fang” [fæ􏰒]). An Italian speaker trying to learn would have to learn an entirely new concept (a new phoneme), which would be very difficult. An English speaker trying to learn Italian might have an accent as a result of this difference, but he or she would not have comprehension problems as a result of it. It’s always harder to learn a new distinction than it is to ignore a familiar one.
[t􏰌nda] yes [sapone] yes [portova􏰒o] no [trovano] yes [buo􏰒o] no

Korean
[Adapted from the Department of Linguistics (1994), p. 114 and Kaplan (1995), p. 63]
1.[si􏰈 ]
2 . [ m i s i􏰈 n ]
3 . [ s i􏰈 n m u m ]
4. [ t􏰕aksa􏰒si􏰈 kye ] 5 . [ s i􏰈 l s u ]
6 . [ o s i􏰈 p ]
7 . [ c a􏰈 s i􏰈 n ]
8 . [ p a 􏰒 s i􏰈 k ]
9 . [ k a n s i􏰈 k ]
1 0 . [ s i􏰈 k 􏰌 ]
poem superstition newspaper table check mistake fifty
self method snack clock
11. [ sal ]
12. [ c􏰈asal ]
13. [ kasu ]
14. [ sanmun ] 15. [ kas􏰍l ]
16. [ c􏰍􏰈 􏰒sony􏰍n ] 17. [ miso ]
18. [ susek ]
19. [ tapsa ] 20.[soja􏰇􏰒]
flesh suicide singer prose hypothesis adolescents smile search exploration director
1. A quick look at the phonetic data reveals that there are no minimal pairs. Chances are, then, that we will find complementary distribution, and that the sounds are allophones of the same phoneme. Now we need to determine the environment that determines which variant (allophone) of the phoneme is used.
2. Both [s] and [s]􏰈 are used word initially and word internally, so position in the word won’t help 
us. Both sounds are used after [a] so looking at the preceding sound won’t help us. Following 
[s]􏰈 , however, in every instance is the high, front, tense vowel [i]. This is about as specific a 
natural class as you’ll find - the natural class of high, front, tense vowels. [s], on the other hand, is used before all other vowels in the data.
3. This, then, is complementary distribution...
4. ....and we can say that [s] and [s]􏰈 are allophones of the same phoneme. Because [s] appears in more environments, we can conclude that it is the basic form of the phoneme.
5. The rule, therefore, is:
/s/becomes[s]􏰈 before[i](thisruleisdifficulttocategorizeintermsofitstype)
6. In English, these sounds are separate phonemes (compare [s􏰏p] and [s􏰏􏰈 p]), so a native speaker of Korean attempting to learn English would have to learn a new reality. Because such a speaker cannot hear the difference between these two sounds, learning to use them as separate sounds would be very difficult. An English speaker learning to speak Korean, however, would not have to learn a new reality.
[kas􏰈i] yes [so] yes [sipsan] no [s􏰌k] yes [si􏰈 nho] yes [masi] no

Sindhi (a language spoken in southern Asia)
[p􏰍nu] leaf
[v􏰍ju] opportunity [seki] suspicious
[t􏰍ru] bottom [k􏰕􏰍to] sour [b􏰍ju] run
[d􏰍ru] door
[j􏰍􏰇 ju􏰇 ] judge [p􏰕􏰍nu] snake hood
Compare the sounds [p] and [p􏰕] in Sindhi.
Are they in overlapping or complementary distribution?
Both appear in the exact same environment in the minimal pair [p􏰍nu] and [p􏰕􏰍nu]. This means that they are in overlapping distribution.
Are they contrastive or non-contrastive?
The minimal pair noted above means they must be contrastive.
Are the allophones of the same phoneme or are they different phonemes? Because they’re contrastive, they must be different phonemes.
How does this differ from their relationship in English?
In English, these sounds are non-contrastive (they are allophones of the same phoneme).
Would this difference create more problems for an English speaker trying to learn Sindhi, or a Sindhi speaker trying to learn English? Explain your answer.
The English speaker would have more trouble learning Sindhi because he or she would have to
learn an entirely new phoneme (/p􏰕/). Anytime a person tries to learn a second language that has “concepts” that don’t exist in his or her first language, problems will arise.

Q3.1. Now that we have determined in which environments the two sounds occur, we can go on to ask a further question, namely which of the two is the basic, or default, allophone of the phoneme, and which one is a variant of it that only occurs in certain environments. To achieve this goal, we need to consider the following additional words:
4.5 Exercise: German palatal fricatives
Your chart for English shows the palatal fricatives [ʃ] and [ʒ]. German has fricatives like these too. (Technically, though, the [ʃ] and [ʒ] in English and German are made somewhere between the alveolar ridge and the palate.)
m. [mɛtçʌn]
n. [zɛkçʌn]
‘girl’ o. [mançʌ] ‘some’ ‘little sack’
German (and Japanese) has another fricative sound that is made with the body of the tongue touching the palate a little further back in your mouth, which for this exercise we will call a voiceless palatal fricative, represented by [ç]. German also has a voiceless fricative made at the velum, a voiceless velar fricative, represented by [x]. Basically, the [ç] sound is made with the tongue nearer the front of the mouth, while the [x] is made with the tongue further back.
What is the simplest way of characterizing the distribution given these new data? I.e., describe the observed pattern of all the data as simple as you can.
Now, examine the voiceless velar fricative [x] and the voiceless palatal fricative [ç] in the German data below.
(The colon (:) represents a long vowel. You can ignore it for the purposes of the problem.)
4.6 Phonological rules
a. [ɑxt] b. [bu:x] c. [lɔx]
d. [ho:x] e. [flʊxt] f. [lɑxʌn]
“eight” “book” “hole” “high”
g. [ɪç]
h. [ɛçt]
i. [ʃprɛçʌn] j. [lɛçʌln] k. [ri:çʌn] l. [fɛçtʌn]
“I”
“real”
“to speak” “to smile” “to smell” “to fence”
Now we can write rules of various phonological processes concisely. ● What phonological rules should specify?
“escape” “to laugh”
. (a) The class of sounds affected by the rules (usually specified by its features)
. (b) What phonetic changes are to occur (/ç/ is pronounced [x])
. (c) The environment of the relevant sounds
Q1. [x]
phoneme). Describe the different environments in which [x] and [ç] appear. (Write a similar chart as you did in the exercise on Italian nasals.)
and [ç] are in complementary distribution (they are allophones of the same
● Formalization of rules
Phonological rules usually take the following form:
Q2. Describe the observed pattern (i.e., not just listing). Your answer will look something like the example sentences I have below (you have to decide whether it is the preceding or following sounds that matter, and what features those sounds share):
/ : “in the environment of”
Exercise: Fill in the rule based on what we found out up to now.
[ç] appears after/before/between sounds that are all _______________________ [x] appears after/before/between sounds that are all _______________________
(10) (11)
Italian nasals:
German palatal fricatives:
→ / → /
Q3.2. Whichallophoneappearsinmorerestrictedenvironments? Thebasicallophoneis the other one.
(9) A → B / X __ Y
The form above is to be read as ‘A becomes B between X and Y’ (either X or Y could be
absent if the conditioning environment is found only in one side of the allophone). → : “becomes”

BURMESE

It's pretty obvious from this data that the voiceless nasals [.m], [.n] and [.N] are allophones of the nasals in the environment after [h]. Elsewhere, the nasals are pronounced as [m], [n], and [N]. This is evidenced by the fact that nowhere does [.m] contrast with [m], nor [.n] with [n], etc. So you could say the voiced and voiceless nasals are in complementary distribution.

GREEK
Consider the following data based on Greek. The data have been modified to simplify this

problem.
Assume phonetic tranion.
. a) kano
. b) xali
. c) xori
. d) krima
. e) xufta
‘do f) kufeta ‘plight’ g) xrima
‘dances’ h) xano ‘shame’ i) kali ‘handful’ j) kori
‘bonbons’ ‘money’ ‘lose’ ‘charms’ ‘daughter’
1. Can you identify any phonemes in the language? If
your answer. If not, explain why not.
/k/ and /x/ are separate phonemes as demonstrated by minimal pairs: a-h, b-i, c-j, d-g and the near minimal pair e-f.
رد مع اقتباس

منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز منتديات طلاب وطالبات جامعة الملك عبد العزيز
قديم 24-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

jana jana

جامعي

تاريخ التسجيل: May 2010
التخصص: English litrature
نوع الدراسة: إنتساب
المستوى: العاشر
الجنس: أنثى
المشاركات: 24
افتراضي رد: LANE 335 Language files

بنات أنتو حليتو مع الأستاذة ايمان بالنسبة للغات و هل كله معانا اللي حلته معاها التمارين يا ريت كل وحدة تكتب الحل عشان كلنا نستفيد و انا ححاول اشوف الباقي و شكرا و فالكم الفل مارك و الله يوفقكم كلكم و جمعة مباركة معليش طولت عليكم

jana jana غير متواجد حالياً   رد مع اقتباس

إضافة رد

تعليمات المشاركة
لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك

BB code is متاحة
كود [IMG] متاحة
كود HTML معطلة

الانتقال السريع

الساعة الآن 10:15 AM